Sunday, October 26, 2008

SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY

Today it hit me, I live in the future. All of you back in the States are Ten hours behind me, that is awesome. That means I get to experience EVERYTHING before you.

Then I realized that that is not true. All it means is that the sun rises and sets first here. Whatever, for those few brief moment that I believed I had somehow traveled in time, I felt so powerful, it was worth it.

Sundays are some of the most predictable days that we have here in Kitale. Every morning we go to church, then we go to the coffee shop, and I hang with the kids (and distract them) as Allison helps them with math (or maths as they call it over here).

Today was a little different though. As I was hanging out at the Coffee shop with the kids, James (my Kenyan friend who is coming to the states for school soon) called me up and told me that he was going to watch the Chelsea game in town. Being a fan of the Blues I was so excited to go watch them play against Liverpool at home.



The game was great, although Chelsea lost, ending their 86 game winning streak at the bridge, but the place that we went to watch it was even better. The place was called "Line Moja" which means, Line One. It is just a mud hut, with a tv connected to satellite, and benches where around 100 dudes sat watching the game. It was the most hilarious clash of technology, and simplicity. This place was just another example of why I love Kenya.

2 comments:

Julie Hibbard said...

That place reminds me of when I would see one of those Maasai warriors in their plaid blanket/dress and spear and earlobes hanging down to their shoulders-- and then their cell phone would ring and they'd take it out to answer it!
So funny...you definitely aren't living in the future. The whole time I was there I felt like we had traveled back in time...to mud huts with satallite dishes.
incredible.
Is anyone watching the World Series there???

Mom said...

Chris, I can just see you sitting amongst the "dudes". You would fit right in. My friend Brandon, works at a restaurant in town and he met a really nice couple from Kenya last night. I will let him tell you all about it.

Love you and pray for your health and safety each day.

Mom xoxoxoxoxoxo