Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Simple things

I have noticed a pattern in the things that make me happy these days. I have been really holding on to the simple things that life has to offer, it sounds so cliche, but those small things are making me so happy. Today I read on the Internet about my sister scoring a goal in their match against Fullerton, and I started to tear up. I was so proud of her, all of the work that she had put in over the years, and all of the commitment made me so proud to be her older brother. Of course we have our differences, but I am so proud of the accomplishments she is making on the field, or should I say the pitch? Congrats Alana, on being an accomplished college athlete, and being my little sister (lets face it, being my sister is something to brag about in itself.)

As I was walking into the house today from getting my laundry another simple, but great, thing made me so happy. I heard some kids chattering, and I looked to see if it was our neighbors so that I could say hello, but then I saw 5 kids scurrying around one of the trees on the other side of the compound. Usually we don't let kids on the compound just because if we let one, there would be no end. I recognized the kids as some that go to Oasis. When I walked up they screamed my name, and then showed me some fruits in their hands. When I looked up in the tree I noticed they were gathering all the guavas from our guava tree. They were up in the trees, jumping all around it, hitting it with sticks, doing everything they could to get them down. I don't know why but seeing these kids gathering these fruits made me so happy, they were so excited to grab one off the tree and bite into it. Personally i don't enjoy these guavas, and these kids aren't exactly well off, so I was more then happy to let them have as many as they wanted. (plus their not really ours anyways.)

I can feel God softening my spirit, and I thank him for every ounce of joy that I experience in the small things that occur in life.








Also, I now have proof that Dinosaurs live in Kitale:

Ladies and gentlemen I give you Pterodactyl

4 comments:

dianasaur said...

oh my gosh ptery is so scery. i think those kids are great. they look so incredibly happy. i am glad you gave them those guavas. also, i am pleased that the little things in life are making you happy.

il va etre un examen de francais en mon classe de francais aujourd'hui...

Mom said...

Chris your sense of humor never ceases to amaze me. I love Pter.

I know Alana feels the same about what you are doing too. Those were such kind words for her and I will make sure she sees this post.

Oh the joy of simple things. A good cup of coffee, working in my garden, or just watching a Notre Dame football game those are my favotite things in life. I know exactly what you mean about the simple things. You have just realized them at a really early age and I think that is wonderful.

Those childrens faces put the biggest smile on my face. If only the world could be so content with a few guavas.

Take care my Son and I will write to you tomorrow on your e mail.

love You,
Mom xoxoxoxoxoxo

D.P. Spain said...

That's funny, I just watched Jurassic Park and I didn't see that guy at all. So therefore he either A. doesn't exist or B. he's not a real dinosaur. As you can see I've now allowed Jurassic Park to not only be my sole source of information regarding Paleontology but also every other aspect of my life. Example: Somebody pointed out that a Polish person in Greenpoint looked like a velocoraptor, which was followed by this statement. "That's not a dinosaur, because he wasn't in Jurassic Park or the Lost World, and therefor he's not a human either, because he wasn't in them. He's not even real." This was met by much confusion and a large smile on my face. You understand.

On a more serious note, according to Alan Grant (Sam Neil) dinosaurs evolved into birds over thousands of years, losing their scales in favor of feathers. Therefore our feathered friend is an ancestor to said terrible lizards but not one himself. You can tell by the feathers. Also he is not extinct. All of this thanks to Michael Chrichton.

We can still use our imaginations though, right?

Oh also according to Chrichton there's a new species of gorillas living in Africa that hunt humans for sport and communicate using wheezes. They are silver. Be on the lookout.

Love,
Daniel P. Leviathan (Black Elk)


I figured I try it out. Has a nice ring huh?

Lauren Nease said...

hahahahaha pterodactyl ahhh