Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Just Some Dudes

The Joy of being a father is something that I have yet to experience. Part of growing up is experiencing that moment when you say to yourself, OHH now I get what my parents were talking about. We all have that pivotal second where we realize, and start to appreciate what our parents did and still do for us. The past year has been a realization of that, giving me a whole new outlook on what it means to be an adult. Today was probably the closest that I have ever felt to being a “proud father.” The three boys that I have been with on the street became official Oasis boys today. Yes I am proud to announce that Kevin, Michael, and Joseph are now happy members of the Oasis family. This was their second full day, so seeing that they were willing to come back at least once meant an interview, a picture, a new shirt and a haircut. I know, I know, I have only known these kids for like a week on a first name basis, but I am so proud of them. It isn’t really understandable to us, but it is very difficult for most street boys to leave the streets for a structured environment. I am confident however that after today, these boys have found a home at Oasis. I feel like these guys are “my” boys, and this marks the first kids that I have seen a positive impact on. I have been so inspired by all of the stories of the other Oasis boys, especially the house boys, but this is the first time that I have experienced the before and after. Obviously there would be a lot less hope for these kids if it weren’t for the amazing program at Oasis. Today I really experienced the impact that that place has on the children who are in dire need of some hope. I love the motto at that place, “bringing hope to the hopeless.” I am so inspired by that because I really feel that that is exactly what Jesus has done in my life. I thank God so much for giving me the opportunity to take time out of my meaningless life back home, and come and learn about what life really means here in Kitale. If I ever thought that helping these kids would make me feel any better about myself, it hasn’t. For the most part, it has opened an even bigger need inside of me. A need that can only be filled by the active response to Jesus words “love your neighbor as yourself.” I am so happy that these boys will be in a safe place everyday, with people who care about them and with another chance at hope.

Lydia, I know you read this and I just wanted to thank you. I wanted to thank you for listening to the call of the Lord, and in turn allowing a kid from the richest part of the world to come to a place where he would be challenged and grow. So Lydia, thank you again and I pray that God will continue to provide for this amazing place.



Here are the boys, right after their haircut. From left to right we have Michael, Kevin, and then Joseph. My prayer is that they will realize what a blessing Oasis is, and continue to come back everyday.

4 comments:

Mom said...

WOW!!!!!What can I say??? Chris I know the word amazing has been used so much but there really is not a stronger word I can think of. Yes, that is truly the feeling you get when you have led a child down the right path. That picture of you and the kids is going in a frame in my home. i am so excited to see what the Lord has in store for these beautiful boys.

You look and sound so happy. There is a little selfish part of me that worries that you will never come home. I can just see you making your life there. If that is the will of God then so be it. I would love someday to go there, even if it were for only a few weeks to give back in return for all that I have.

On another note, I just wanted to let you know your baby sister scored her first college goal yesterday. You would be so proud of her the way she is handeling her college life.

I love you and could not be prouder,
Mom xoxoxoxox

Mama Oasis said...

Oh Chris!

You know (as does anybody who has known me for more than an hour) that there is nothing I love more than hearing that the street kids in Kitale are coming to Oasis.

I am sitting here at my desk in Santa Ana, California....big tears streaming down my face.

I understand completely. It is such a wonderful thing to see a kid that you have been talking with in town for weeks...actually show up at Oasis. It feels like such a big victory!

For sure, they come for the free food. That is fine with me. I would rather see them eating than sniffing glue!

But, an amazing thing happens when they come to the realization that this little wooden shack by the railroad tracks is not JUST a place to drop by and eat. There is that moment when they understand that they are not JUST welcome ...but that this place is THEIRS. It starts when they find THEIR seat in the classroom and they have THEIR own composition books with THEIR names on the front. But the most powerful moment is when they realize that they are truly loved...by the staff and most of all, by GOD.

In Kitale...where being a street kid means hiding from the security guards who whip you if you come too close to the stores and where the people of Kitale won't come near you....Oasis of Hope is a refuge and a HOME for these kids...for a few hours each day, anyway.

Sometimes I worry when I read your blog or Allison's or Daina's and I see the photos of the boys from the Group Homes...looking so spiffy, well dressed and fed. I worry that people will see them and say, "Wow, THOSE kids don't look too needy."

But, I remember only too well when each and every one of those very boys were scruffy, barefoot, dirty, glue-sniffing street boys themselves.

I remember sitting on the ground outside of the classroom teaching Bramwel long division. I remember the satisfaction I felt when he finally "got it".

I remember Elvis showing up with a huge hole burnt into his already tattered shirt. In his sleep the night before, he had rolled into the fire that the streetboys had built to keep warm.

I remember crying with Johnstone out by the warehouse behind Oasis the day he told me his story about how mom and dad had died and how he had come to be on the street.

I remember taking Moses to buy his first pair of shoes...ever.

I have stories about every one of these kids and sometimes when I look back on the old photos...it is a surprise even to me to remember how far we have come together.

You and I both know that the boys in the Group Homes are a work in progress and that they are far from being ready to take care of themselves. But, to look at them now...it is easy to forget the journey that has brought them to this point.

That is why I am so thrilled that you are able to be at the beginning of the journey for Michael, Kevin and Joseph. I pray that they too will become spiffy schoolboys at some point. In the meantime...I am putting that photo as my screensaver, so that I can remember to pray for them and for you each time I see it.

I also caution you to guard your heart a little too. I can't tell you how many times I have believed that a boy or girl had "conquered" the street ....only to have my heart break when they make the choice to go back again.

It still hurts to think of those kids...Simon, Teddy, Lilian, Selah, Musa, Paulina, Dennis, Moses and most recently Mike.

Every kid has a different path and we never, ever give up on them or stop praying for them. But, sometimes, they need a few tries to really let go of the lure of the street. And sadly, sometimes they never do...

Really, I should be the one thanking YOU...not vice versa. It is only because of people like you... people with the heart of Jesus...that Oasis of Hope has come to the point where we are now.

I pray that your words and example will inspire others to help....to come, to pray, and to share some of the blessings of their lives. We CAN change the world ...but EVERYBODY needs to help.

I love you...you make it a little easier for me to be so far away from "home". Keep doing what you are doing...

Lydia

Bob Wohlers said...

Chris Wohlers... rescuing one street boy at a time! Those three boys ARE a victory - yours and Gods. Remember I said... "inch by inch it's a chinch." YOU did it!

At a very real level Chris, you ARE experiencing the pride of parenting. There are "ups" and there are "downs." All in all, however, parenting is the most rewarding experience on the planet. I can tell that you are genuinely "feeling" the most basic of parenting emotions and pride. Keep the boys close by you and watch over them. I hope to meet them. Continue to be happy my son. As I've said before, I'm so incredibly proud of you. DAD

dianasaur said...

i don't really know what to say in response to this. recently your posts have been too much for me to comprehend. i mean that in a good way though. you are experiencing things i really have no idea about. I can't wrap my mind around the feeling you have when they decided to come back, but i do know that it must be the most amazing feeling imaginable. those boys are very lucky to have you in their lives, and you are lucky to be in theirs.

i do however have to say something to ask you about this post, so get in touch with me, please.
iloveyou
you are one of a kind,
digame