Sunday, September 28, 2008

Another week

Today is Sunday, which means that another week has just flown by. I find myself overwhelmed by our schedule here sometimes, making it difficult for me to post on this blog as often as I want. Also, the internet is not what you would call, fast; making it more difficult to post often. Friday the girls and I went to Oasis house three for dinner, and enjoyed another night of ridiculous fun with the boys. There are so many pictures, so instead of picking them myself, and then taking the time to post them, I will once again direct you to Daina and Allison's blogs.

Yesterday the Girls and I went to play a little soccer and other outdoor activities.


The reason for the one sentence and then the break is that the mood of this post has drastically changed in the middle of writing it. As I was writing I looked out my window and saw Ayub and Andrew (grounds keepers on the compound) hunched over something. I knew right way what had happened.

Earlier this morning I witnessed a really amazing thing, the birth of a cow. Ayub had told me the that our cow was going to give birth soon, and I informed him that I would love to see that. This morning he came and got me and told me that it was going to happen. I saw the WHOLE thing. At the time I was so happy, a new cow means a lot to people here in Kenya especially if it is a female, like this one. But after only a few short hours, it died. Ayub said that the cow was not properly fed by the last farmer (we have had it less then two months) and that that is probably caused the calf to die. Andrew tried everything to keep it alive, he even spoon fed it milk, and water, but their efforts were futile. I really am bummed out about that little calf. Standing over it's lifeless body wasn't something that I wanted to do today.

The mama and calf.


Andrew milking the cow.


Spoon feeding the calf trying to give it strength.


3 comments:

Mom said...

Oh Chris, sometimes it is really hard to understand nature. But as you well know God has a plan for everything. That picture is so sad. Did you actually get to see the little calf come into the world? I understand if you don't feel like writing for a few days. Your heart is so tender and I know that the next few days will be hard. I pray for you my Son,

Love you and miss you sooooo much,

Mom xoxoxoxoxo

Mama Oasis said...

Chris....

The day in August that my cow (Maua) had her miscarriage (the calf was supposed to be born in early November)...Onesmus had tears in his eyes.

I am so sorry for your little calf. But, maybe our two little lost babys are romping together in Heaven!

Margie said...

Hi Chris, I've enjoyed reading your blogs, watching you enjoy the kids and you touching them in only your special way has been fun to read and to see it in your pictures.

Watching a calf or any other animal die is hard especially when they're babies. One thing to always remember is that survival of the fittest is a saying that is true but is difficult to watch nature take its course at times. You're very well aware of how nature works and after raising cattle in my younger years I saw a lot of nature happen both good and bad. I'm sorry for the loss for the town, but more wonderful things will come with patience.

Keep up your wonderful blogs and keep posting all your wonderful pictures, I've enjoyed every one of them. Also Chris please use and abuse your mosquito net when ever night comes, lots of worried people back home.

Lots of love to you Chris,

Margie