Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Courtesy of 1993

More then anything living here has really made me happier. You would think that the reason for my new found happiness would be the realization of how much I actually have, but that plays a small part in it all. I am really convinced that what has really upped my joy is the children. I am not sure what it is about kids that causes this, maybe the ability to let loose and act like a child. Or maybe it is the excitement that children show when something interesting happens. I think most of all it is the faith that they exhibit even when things are, what I would consider, sucky. It is unexplainable, there are no clever quips that I can string together to give you a great idea of what I mean, and it just has to happen to you.

A couple of boys, brothers to be exact, that I have been hanging out with on the streets for the past couple of days, have started coming to Oasis. They are new to the streets in Kitale, and had heard of Oasis but had never been there. I have been telling them to go everyday, and the other day they finally said “take me there.” Of course I did, that was kind of the greatest thing that they could have said to me, so needless to say it made my day. Today was the second day straight that they have been coming, which may seem small, but when you are coming off the streets I consider it an accomplishment. One of the boys, Joseph, was playing soccer today and someone stole his shoes (they play barefoot). I watched him as he feverishly looked for his shoes, tears welling up in his eyes. When you live on the streets the clothes on your back are some of your only possessions. I pulled him aside and told him, “since you have been coming to Oasis, and being a good kid, I will get you some new shoes today.” I Left Oasis at about 12:00 and headed into town. From town I went to Purpose Driven School, where I taught a science class and then headed back to town. I knew that I would find Joseph there and I was anxious to get him some shoes. When I got in front of the usual supermarket that I meet them at everyday, I saw his brother sleeping on the ground, and then asked the other boys where Joseph was. At that moment he cam strolling up, and the first thing he said was, “shoes?” I then went into the store, got him a pair, and made my day. I felt guilty that I only bought him some considering that most of the kids need new ones, but them I got them around and said, “hey, you go to Oasis, you treat people right, and you just might get some shoes.” I feel like it was a good way to lure kids to go somewhere safe, and maybe get a little food in them. I will never forget what Joseph said to me “I am going to school everyday!” Now will he keep his promise? I have no idea, but just the fact that he might, is enough to keep me happy.

On a more serious note, a couple days ago I made a purchase that I have been meaning to write about. I was so sick and tired of not knowing what time it was, and had heard that you could get a very cheap watch in town, so I set out to buy one for myself. Now I am pleased to say that I have purchased the finest watch that Kitale has to offer, courtesy of 1993. This silver Casio is a shining example of human ingenuity and craftsman ship. I have taken a picture so that you may all enjoy the beauty of this amazing piece of technology. I give you…CASIO!


Yes it is true, it can display time in either 12 hour or 24-hour format. Has a button that says light, although there is none. It displays the date as well as the day, all in brilliant analog. And have no fear; it says it is water resistant, although I am hesitant to test the claim. So what did a beauty like this cost, around 3 dollars. And the best part of this once in a lifetime price is that it was bartered down from six dollars, and the man doing the bartering? A street boy named P.I.G. If there were a MasterCard commercial about this watch it would most likely go something like this:
“ 1993 Casio wrist watch, three dollars. Being able to know the time, not quite priceless, but worth it.”

5 comments:

Julie Hibbard said...

I have been happier since I returned from Kenya too. Not because of the hot water, soft bed, Starbucks, and/or flushing toilets. No, because I have seen what REAL happy looks like. Happy with nothing is real happy. Listening to people thank God for all He provides when they have absolutely NOTHING is amazing to behold. Coming back and realizing all that I have made me much more grateful. And happier. And content.
You are incredible Chris. Thanks for sharing your experiences.
Your watch reminds me of "Planes, Trains and Automobiles." I think it might be the exact same watch. I remember someone in Kitale saying, "Americans have the watches but Kenyans have the time."
Now you have both.

Mom said...

You must publish your journals Chris!!!!! You bring me such joy when I read your writings. Is there anyway that we could gather up a box of shoes and send them to you??? I know Alana and I could come up with many pairs if we asked around. Let me know as soon as you can so we could start gathering.

Your watch is beautiful but more beautiful than the watch is the persons heart that is wearing it.

Stay safe my Son and glad you are on the mend,

Love You,
Mom xoxoxoxo

Mama Oasis said...

Chris...have I told you lately how wonderful I think you are?

I am proud of you for utilizing the tried and true "Bribe them to come to Oasis" trick. I often use the hot lunch as a bribe (doesn't cost anything extra since Jane is already at the centre making giant pots full of beans and rice for lunch anyway)...but, hey...if you have the shillings to use shoes as a lure...even BETTAH!

Thank you for all that you are doing ...but, more than that...thank you for your sweet, sweet heart for these kids and for Jesus.

And...I have a visual in my mind of P.I.G. bargaining for your watch with one of the street vendors....and it is making me smile!

Ok..the next part is for your mom:

Dear Chris's mom...

Thanks for your offer to send shoes to Kitale. But, the shipping is soooo expensive and customs is very corrupt in Kenya. The likihood of the shoes getting into Kenya without having to pay huge sums of money in bribes is almost zero.

Decent quality shoes are readily available in Kitale and are priced very reasonably. To be honest, the best thing is to send money....the added bonus is that it stimulates the economy in Kenya. If you want to send Chris money to buy shoes...you can donate it through Oasis of Hope...and designate what it is for and I will make sure he gets it via our monthly wire of funds to Kenya.

The added bonus is that you get a tax write off doing it this way. The less you give Uncle Sam...the more you have to give to God, I always say.

By the way...you and your husband did an incredible job with Chris. He is an amazing young man. But, you already knew that ....didn't you?

Sincerely,
Lydia Monroe
Executive Director
Oasis of Hope
Kitale, Kenya

dianasaur said...

my dad reads this everyday. your watch is slammin.

Mom said...

This is for Lydia....Thank you for the kind words. I have to admit Chris was like this from the day he was born!!!! God gave me the greatest gift of all when he sent me him. Thank you for the information about the shoes, I will do as you suggest. I will ask my family to join in too. You too sound like an amazing woman and I am looking forward to meeting you someday.

Theresa
(Chris' Mom)