Sunday, June 6, 2010

Pokot Sunday

A couple of days ago a bishop friend of mine asked me if I wanted to go with him to a church of his in a remote area of West Pokot.

This part of Pokot is an awesome place that is nestled up in the hills of Kenya and is absolutely beautiful. It takes about an hour and a half to get to the church from our house, and about 45 minutes of that are on some untraveled donkey paths. I really enjoy going to the bush (that's what they call remote here) and seeing the work that our friends are doing to spread the gospel of Christ.

every five minutes of the drive up the mountain Simon, my bishop friend, kept reminding me not to worry about all the people staring, he said it was just because they had never seen a white man in this place before. He didn't need to worry, I am pretty used to that by now, in fact it is a great way to start a conversation.

"Hey, you have never seen a white guy around here? Well I am a white guy, how's it going?"

Although it is a little more formal then that, that is basically my tactic. When we arrived at the church I was blown away at what I saw. Since I don't have a camera I snapped a shot with my phone, and it really can't do this place justice.


Sitting atop these hills is this tiny mud structure where people gather each day to worship the creator and savior of the entire universe. I mean, this place just screams of God's majesty. As far as you can see down into the valleys and up along the hills is green, with scattered homes and fields of maize. I thought to myself, "this is where I want to worship God, even if it is just a mud house with a couple benches."

Not only was the view and scenery amazing the people there love God so much, and they are learning and walking with him daily. Simon told me that the Gospel has only been in this area for a bout ten years. Ten years! That is so amazing to me, and the way that people have responded speaks volumes to how God is using Simon and his ministry to advance his kingdom.

I praise God that people to this day are still being reached by the gospel, and that the LORD continues to transform lives

1 comment:

Mom said...

Your picture is great!! What a beautiful story. Yes the Lord is truly amazing!!!!!
Love you,
Mom xoxoxoxo