Sunday, June 6, 2010

Lonely

I know that this is my third consecutive post, but I have been meaning to crank this one out for some time.

To be honest, I thought that being here alone for a couple of weeks would be nice. I thought that I would be able to get a lot done, and that I would enjoy being free of being responsible for others. While I'm getting a lot done, I'm pretty lonely. Of course the days are filled with meetings, and hanging out with street kids, but it's when I settle in for the night that I really feel it.

Let me be honest, it is tough here, you have to have a thick skin a lot of the time. Now mix the stuff that goes on here day to day, with not having someone to process it with, and you have a perfect recipe for loneliness. That being said we're only a Couple days away from the first wave of the team arriving and I am so excited.

I am mainly excited for the return of three people who have spent time with me here before and who I love very much.

Of course there is Pastor Steve. I am his biggest fan, whilst being one of his bitter enemies, but hey that is the way good friendships work sometimes. Without Steve none of us would have ever come to Kitale, and I know that we all deeply thank him for it


Then there's Sammy (Sebby). One of the most neutral people I've ever met. When tempers are high you can count on her to bring them back down, and when people are down, you can count on her to bring them up. Just don't count on her to ever care about you calling her something other then her name.



And last, and least, Matt. Nothing says pure genius like a Matt Gillen pun. I know few people who think about the people of Kenya as much as this guy, not to mention he is one of my best friends even when were not taking toast in Kenya together.



Of course there are so many people that I would love to have here, but I know that sometime in the future I will get everyone I love over to this place that has changed my life.

3 comments:

Mom said...

Chris, Mother Teresa once said she was but a mere pencil in God's hands. Do good, pass it on because,love is all there is. You my son, are doing exactly that. I know it has to be tough all alone some many time zones away. Within a few days that feeling will all be gone while you and all the other wonderful people will be sharing your love throughout Kitale. You know you are in my prayers daily for the Lord to keep you safe, healthy, and to make the right decisions. Keep us posted on Vincent, I know he is in great hands with Sister Freda.

Love you,
Mom xoxox

P.S. Your sister got a job!!!!!

Allison said...

This picture of Matt makes me laugh everytime. And mr just laugh once, but laugh every 5 minutes for the next hour when I think about it again. Ridiculous.

I am excited (read as eggzited) for you to have company...I know solitude is nice, but dialogue and processing is so important for keeping your heart soft.

Love you...praying for you.
See you SO soon.

Innocent said...

This reminds me of my past love you chris its innocent from kitale kenya