Saturday, May 29, 2010

Batta

I have a friend here in town, his name is Sndip (spelling?), and he owns a shoe store. It is an official Batta retailer (those of you who have been here will know what I am talking about, and probably find that somewhat amusing). Sndip is just an everyday shop owner here in Kitale; An Indian imigrant, who uprooted his whole family to move here and run a shoe store, pretty typical story around these parts. What is amazing is the friendship that we've developed.

Everyday I walk past his shop on my way into town, he always calls my name, and has me come greet him. Once and a while I will sit in his shop and "talk" with him. Mostly I sit there, and ask him questions that he barley understands and he nods yes. He typically buys me a soda and shows me pictures of his family on his phone.

Today I saw a Chelsea hat, and said that they were my team. He laughed and handed me the hat. I told him I couldn't take it but he insisted.

Here I am holding the hat, Attempting to look as Kenyan as possible.


and here I am again wearing the hat, again, attempting to look as Kenyan as possible. (you may have noticed looking Kenyan for me basically means not smiling.)


All of this to say, the LORD has really blessed me here. I realized today that it is rarely obvious who God will put in your path . Sndip needs Jesus too, and it is crazy that the LORD has brought me all the way to Kenya to minister to a shoe salesman.

2 comments:

Allison said...

Looking Kenyan also means a sweet double thumbs-up.

Can't wait to be back in Kitale...but LOVE that you are posting everyday...it makes me so so happy.

Taylor Ishii said...

Man do I hate that hat, almost equal to how much I have missed you already. Dude, you have to tell me what it's like watching world cup with kenyans...