Wednesday, August 27, 2008

He Shoots he scores!

I have always been critical of the amount of money that professional athletes make these days; I mean it really is absurd. Few people from our neck of the woods know that the international soccer stars are the ones who really move the absurd money. Players are being bought and sold for 80 million EUROS everywhere you look. Today was the first time that I really appreciated who those sports stars are to boys and girl who look up to them.

It was the final day of the abstinence bible study today, so Lydia had all of the boys and myself over to her house for some fun and the promise ring ceremony. I got there around 10 only to find an amazing game of soccer being played in the front lawn of Lydia’s compound. I watched as 20 or so former streets boys played soccer on a half dirt half grass field. It didn’t matter to them that they didn’t have shoes or uniforms, or even that they had never even had formal training. It didn’t matter to them that they had never been on a real team; all that mattered was that they were playing at that moment, and that they were among friends. I am positive that they could have been at any field in the world at that moment, and still had as much fun as they were having playing with sticks as goals.

I must note that today was the day that they all made a vow to be abstinent until marriage. I know that the Lord has amazing things in store for these boys, and they now understand why being abstinent is so important for a man of God.





These guys are my friends.  

4 comments:

dianasaur said...

No way is that dog doing the hand thing too! Hahaha!

It has been so nice talking to you more Chris. I miss you tons and tons of bricks. Your friends look so nice and I am beyond proud of you for being there with them as they took their vows of abstinence. I can clearly see the light of God shining through you. Every time we talk I am elated because you are becoming the most beautiful human being I have ever encountered.

I love you with all my heart,
Diana

Mom said...

Chris your story really proved that all you need is heart and you can be or accomplish anything you want. No soccer coaching, no cleats, no uniforms, all they needed was heart and they had it. Just like I said yesterday on the fact that all these boys tested negative, God has great things in store for them. You stick out in that picture but you also look right at home. I can never tell you enough how proud I am to call you my SON. I love you!!!
Momxoxoxoxoxoox

Bob Wohlers said...

Friends... beyond compare. A treasure. What a great group of guys.

From one of your very best friends,
DAD

Timothy David said...

Psh, soccer...its called football Chris....being that youre not in the states you should know that.