Saturday, August 16, 2008

Friday’s are usually days that a kid my age looks forward to as a little time to spend with some friends, and maybe go out for a nice meal. It is awesome to experience the contrast of a Friday at home and one here in Kitale. We started off the morning as we usually do, eating a little breakfast. Lately I have been enjoying a peanut butter and jelly sandwich every morning, and sometimes I will enjoy it with a delicious hardboiled egg. We walked to oasis again to hang out with the kids, and maybe teach a little something. When we got there we discovered that Fridays are a short for the kids because at lunch they clean out the classroom so that they can use it for the church on Sundays. Having discovered that, we decided that we would stay and play for a little while and then head to the market to do some shopping.

Before I tell you about me Market experience I have to explain a boy from Oasis that I have really connected with over the past couple of weeks. Joseph is a boy who is 15 and lives in one of the group homes run by Oasis of Hope. He is a former street boy, and was rescued by Lydia and Geoffrey’s ministry. He has such an amazing heart that has taught me a lot about the children here. Joseph had asked me earlier if he could come along with us when we went to the market, so of course I told him that he could. He decided to invite his friend Stuart, who is also at Oasis, and in my bible study as well. Just the simplicity of walking and talking to them really was amazing, they are both so kind, and loving. As we were walking into the store Joseph told me that he didn’t want to go in. I didn’t understand and just told him that he wasn’t going to wait outside and that he had to come in. Later when were alone I asked him why he didn’t want to come in, and he gave an answer that really altered my view about life. He told me that he didn’t want to see all of these nice things because he didn’t want to want them. Basically he told me that he didn’t want to think of things that were meaningless, even if they did look like they were worth having. It really made me thing about times that I just go into places and almost lust over a computer or a new ipod (lust may not be the right word but you can get the picture). I just Love the perspective that these kids give you not only on life here in Kenya but also life back home. After we were in the market it started to rain so we had to stand with the boys under an awning to wait for the rain to cease. As we were waiting in the rain a little street boy came up to us and just stood next us. As he was standing with us I Realized that all he wanted was to be close to us and have me shake his hand and pat him on the head. I told Joseph to tell him to go to Oasis on Monday so that he could get a nice warm meal. We had bought Joseph a coke and he had drunk about half of it when we had met the street boy, and he decided to give it to him. I can’t explain how amazingly happy that made me. Seeing a former street boy be kind to a current street boy even though he had no obligation to do anything kind for him.

Today is Saturday, and boy was it fun. The oasis boys all had a soccer game that Lydia had planned for them. The boys who live in the group homes were up against the street boys who attend the school everyday. Lydia had brought uniforms for them all, and it is amazing what a uniform does to bring kids together. The street boys won in penalty kicks, but both teams played their hearts out, making it a successful day.

I really do love everything that God is showing me here, and I see myself really growing to love this place more and more. I apologize for these blogs being nothing but play by play days, I will try and think of some other things to talk about, but for now that is all I got for you. I love you all and hope that the Lord is blessing you in unimaginable ways. I pray for you all daily, and I can’t wait to see you all!



This is the road we take to Oasis.


They were good sports.


This is Joesph.

3 comments:

dianasaur said...

tell joseph i say hi, he seems amazing

Julie Hibbard said...

Wow. I have tears in my eyes. I sometimes go to Target because I am SURE I need SOMETHING they have there. I just go to SEE all the stuff they have. Joseph is right. I think the people of Kenya are happier than any group of people I've ever known. They don't covet or envy or 'lust' for the things that I do. They already know they have everything they need.
Great lesson.
PS I hope you are making sure Allison smells that hard boiled egg each day.

Mom said...

First let me get all the tears out of my eyes so I can type this. Chris, your experience and stories are not only inspiring you, they have got me to really take a step back and re-evaluate my own life. I wish I could just put all those beautiful children on a plane and have them come and live with me.

Diana is so right, Joseph does seem amazing. As I read your blog it would not surprise me if you made a life of this as your great Uncle Joe did for 45 years. I can hear it in your stories how excited you are with the lessons you get with each new day.

Chris, what you are writing is exactly what we want to hear, your day by day life in Kenya.

Love and Miss you so much,
Mom xoxoxoxoxox