Friday, December 5, 2008

Saying goodbye

It is always hard to say goodbye. It has been especially hard for me to think about saying goodbye to Kenya for a while. I know that it is going to be so difficult to say goodbye to the kids and amazing friends that I have met here. Although that is true, I think that the hardest thing to say goodbye to is this chapter in my life. When I left for Kenya in July I ended that chapter of my life, in fact I feel like I ended a volume of my life, and once I got here I began the first chapter on the next volume. I know that this “volume” of my life is going to be very different then the rest of my life, and closing the first chapter to move onto the next, very uncertain one, is scary. All my life I have hated change, and for me to move here was hard enough, but now having to get ready to pack up and move on again leaves a pit in my stomach. I know that all I can do is prayerfully move on, and have faith in the LORD.

Tonight we went over to the Oasis girl’s house, the last time for me, so that we could enjoy a nice dinner with the girls and their “mama”. I know I have already expressed my love for these girls, but I could never tell you enough how happy, and refreshed these girls make me. Every one of them has a smile that lights up the room, and makes me want to make them laugh for eternity. There is nothing in my life that brings me more joy then laughter, and that is so true when I am with these girls. This was Andrews first time at an Oasis house for dinner, and as always he dove right in, and made an immediate connection with the girls. I am so excited for Andrew to make his life here in Kitale for a while; he is going to do so much good for the children and people of this town.



This is what I look like after a day in Kitale.

4 comments:

Mom said...

Chris,
Let us see, change for Mr. Chris. When you mentioned you never liked change the first thought I had was you in pre-school!! I picked you up from your second week at Bethel Baptist pre-school and the teacher told me, "he had a hard day today, he had a substitute teacher and he does NOT like change." This was true all the way through the sixth grade when after your first day of the new school year I would ask you how it was and you always answered "I hate my teacher." This shows what a huge step it was for you to move away from everything and everyone that you have ever known and make a life in Kitale. Chris don't say good bye say like the Irish do, "until we meet again, may God hold you in the palm of his hand."

I love you,
Mom xoxoxo

Mama Oasis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mama Oasis said...

Chris....I understand completely. I still live in the first home I ever bought....26 years ago! It is amazing what God can motivate us to do in His service, however. I still laugh and shake my head sometimes when I think that I now live a duel life on two side of the planet! I don't even recognize myself!

I know what it feels like to leave Kitale. The trip to Nairobi is the loneliest trip of all. As you watch the landscape of Kenya slide by your window (from a van or a plane; (I don't know which way you are going) you can't help but ask God why he brought you to that place and let you fall in love with the country and the kids and so many other people only to take you away. You will have your answers Chris...I promise. Our God is not a mystery writer who keeps us in terrified suspense. But, He also is not a God who hands us every single answer on a silver platter. You are going to have to dig deep, but I know you will figure it out.

I mean it when I say that I would really like to help you with your re-entry to America. I live in Costa Mesa...not too far. Let's make a plan to get together when you come home. Besides, I want some of your pictures (selfish mom motive!!!).

Safari njema (safe travels) dear friend....
Lydia

Matthew Gillen said...

hey that used to be me. i miss those girls