Thursday, August 12, 2010

Her name is Sieda

I spend a lot of my time thinking about what God wants me to do. I think and I think and a lot of the time I get discouraged when I just don't get an answer. This summer I am finding that God is always trying to show me things, if only I will just ask him and wait. It seems like such a simple lesson, but I find myself having to relearn it weekly.

A few days ago Steve and I were walking through one of the slum areas here in town called Kipsongo. It was a usual walkthrough, the terrible smells, the screaming drunks, and the children begging for attention. It is a place that no Kenyans dare to go unless that is where they live. I have walked through Kipsongo many times, and seen a ton of crummy things that make me feel helpless, but this time God was about to show me exactly what he wanted me to do.

That day I had been praying that the LORD would show me my role in the day, and that he would present himself. As I rounded a corner I saw a very young girl with tears streaming down her face, sitting in the mud, begin to gag. My heart sank as she then vomited in the mud in front of her. I have seen some really sick kids here, but for some reason it was so clear to me the God was pointing me to this one.

I grabbed this little girl, whose name turned out to be Sieda, spoke with the local pastor and her father and threw her in the car. It hurts so bad when you see a small child who is so obviously in agony, but knowing that Sister Freda's hospital is only a short distance a way is a huge comfort.

These past couple days have been full of tests and observation, as the doctors tried to discover what is wrong with Sieda. Today we got the news that she has tuberculosis. TB is pretty common in Kenya, and it is something that the government is trying hard to fight. When a person is diagnosed with TB the government supplies the medicine, which is a huge help considering that the treatment is one pill a day for six months. While the Medicine is supplied by the government the care of the hospitals is not. Usually a patient would return home where they are expected to diligently take their medicine each day, and eat a healthy diet. The issue here is that Sieda lives in the slums with a father who is unable to support her, and with no mother to speak of.

Because of this I have resolved to keep her in Sr. Freda's as she heals, regains strength and is able to continue living a healthy life. I don't know what God has in store for Sieda and I but I do know that she has become a huge part of this summers story for me, and that the LORD is good.






Sieda is 4 years old and is 3 foot 2 and 22 pounds.

2 comments:

Mom said...

Chris,
What I would give for you to be able to bring Sieda home so we could all care for her. You are so correct in saying the Lord showed you what he wanted you to do today. That is why you were there when she needed help. Sister Frieda is an angel from heaven but, you already know that. I can see with each post how you have listened to God as he speaks to you. You will never know how proud I am of you because there are simply no words in our English language. Have a safe flight home. I see where Clare and Mike have invited you to stop in Italy on your way home. Are you going to be able to do that? May God watch over you these last few days in Kitale. Love you so very very much.

God is good ALL the time!!!
Love,
Mom xxooxxo

Suzy Iverson said...

May God bless you because you have learned to become dependent on Him, just as He tries to teach each one of us daily. I know you are probably thinking, "What if I hadn't wandered by?", but because God is omnipresent, He would have had another plan. But you did listen to His leading and Sieda is in good care, and now our prayer is for complete healing and for the ministry Sister Frieda has at the hospital. You will return! Congratulations on your new position at Saddleback Church. You are now heading into the next phase of your life as you continue in ministry - just on another continent - and continue your education. You have had much training the past few years in praying, listening in silence, and recognizing God's voice as He answers - yes, no, wait! Have a safe flight home this weekend. Will be excited to catch up with you in the next few weeks. Love you lots, Jack and Suzy